Saturday, April 01, 2006

I fell through a cloud!!!!!!

Skydiving was INCREDIBLE...crazy...insane...undescribeable really. I was soooooo hung over that morning when my alarm went off I had only been sleeping for about 3 hours (never trust a gang of the Irish to get you home on time!) and I had to RUN about six blocks to get onto the bus...were it not for the fact that I'd pre-paid I never would have went. I got on the bus and it was a struggle not to be sick...it was hot and crowded and 7:00am...We got there just after 8am, and after a 5-minute chat with some guy named Steve I was being zipped into a red jumpsuit and attached to a mechanism where I had to practice my "landing position" (lifting my legs off the ground to land on my bum).

I can't state with enough emphasis how hung over I was...we went up in a tiny aircraft, sitting on the floor of the airplane and all of a sudden I "woke-up" and realized..."this is the worst freaking hangover I've ever had!!!" I had barely spoken all morning, for fear of getting sick, and I hadn't asked Steve even one question...

Our conversation on the floor of that airplane went something like this:
sweet-toothed vegetarian: Ummm...we're pretty high in the air now.
Steve: Oh honey, we're only just at 2,000 feet
Sweet-toothed vegetarian: That's pretty high...how high are we going anyway?
Steve: 14,000 feet.
Sweet-toothed vegetarian: Oh.

Steve (plucking at a loose thread on my red jumpsuit): Damn...I thought I sewed this together pretty well last night...well, let's hope it holds together for one more jump.
Sweet-toothed vegetarian: __________________________ha.

Next thing I know we're shimmying down the plane, and people are dropping out of sight in front of me...I'm last...my feet are now dangling out of the plane, and my last words went like this:

"Um, Steve? Are we attached? Oh gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd...."

Then there we were, free falling from 14,000 feet at speeds up to 220 km per hour, for 60 seconds...I could feel a horrible pain in my left ear, and at one point thought it was physically being detached from my head...no no, that's just your ear drum...you're all good. At 4,000 feet the chute opened, and I felt like I was plucked from the air...then, it was so still...crazy...

Steve and I, post-tandem jump

I fell through a cloud people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: