Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The spell of the pink princess.

New job sucking the life out of me...needed retail therapy tonight - BIG TIME. And I didn't even need to feel guilty about it, because I actually need new "work-ish" clothes...trying to pull off the whole "corporate barbie" thing is not my style these days. But, I thought I would try.

The result?
One warm and fuzzy grey sweater
One warm and fuzzy blue sweater
Two funky necklaces
One pair of pyjamas

Not so successful...

But buying the pyjamas was worth it. I walked in to the store, and was immediately drawn to this very pretty little number on a high shelf. I wasn't looking to buy it, but it just caught my eye and I went to see it closer. I'm about to walk away, over to the pj's, when this girl comes bounding over and demands in a sing-song voice that I *must* take a closer look at this slinky getup just to admire the "sheer fabulousness" of it all. Normally I would be irritated at this kind of aggressive sales pitch, but when it's coming from a girl who looks 12 years old, has CRAZY curly brown hair piled on top of her head, is wearing pink and teal glasses, a hot pink sparkly tank top, a hot pink tu-tu made of reams of tulle and sequins, and pink running shoes...I couldn't say no. She was crazy enthusiastic about it all. So, she pulls the thing down, which ends up being a black little top embroidered with flowers, a "thong panty, which is always flattering on the derriere" and a little skirt-type thing which is cut "racily high on the outer thighs, just so you can show that little something extra, without showing it all at once". These are Pink Princess's words - straight from her mouth. Who talks like that?!?!


I decline the naughty cheerleader look (apologies to the boy) and wander over to the pj's...when BLAMO! This man walks in SCREAMING something incomprehensible. Pink Princess marches over to the cash, gets a large plastic shopping bag (is she going to smother him?!?) gives the bag to the man, and says "here you go". He grumbles something and walks out of the store without much more of a scene. Pink Princess then tells me matter of factly, "he comes every day. I don't know what he does with all the bags, but if we don't give him one, he bangs his fists on the counter, and that's disruptive to our clients."

I try on the pj's, all the while Pink Princess stands outside my changing room, talking my ear off until I can't possibly be annoyed. There I am in blue satin pj's talking through a curtain to a pink princess who I swear also had a wand and some magic glitter dust, but I could have been mistaken, telling her how I was meant to buy suits, not pyjamas, and what the hell was I doing here anyway, and she says, "wow! where do you work that you get to dress so fancy pants?!" One blue satin pair of pyjamas later...

Ladies, Silk & Satin. Rideau Centre. The Pink Princess will enchant you into anything.

No comments: