Saturday, March 25, 2006

I'm the worst Aussie Updater Ever!

Here it is, my last day in Oz, and I've blogged practically nothing! So...for all you curious folks back home, here's the three-minute update on my entire trip...but, the day is young and anything can still happen in my last 12 hours here!

Arrived in Melbourne, REALLY long flights (Ottawa-Chicago-LA-Sydney-Melbourne), perfect weather but burnt my right arm (and broke a wine glass). I drink far too many cappiccino's (how does one spell that?) for anyone's good, but the Melbournians take their coffees VERY seriously...and they are incredible! For the record jetlag and red wine do not mix well...

Did too much shopping which came back to haunt me the day I packed my bags and checked my bank balance online. Scary times kids.

Went to the coast, for a long drive down the incredibly windey Great Ocean Road, to a little resort area called Lorne. The ocean was pretty rough, and I went in only up to my knees because it was FREEZING! Had lunch on a patio along with a few beers, and then headed back to watch the opening ceremony for the Commonwealth Games on TV. We all just sat back and drank Aussie beer and wine- also watched the fireworks for the games from the balcony at Joe's flat, it was a really great show. The city was nuts with the games on, there were people crawling all over - really fun.

After three days I was finally over the jet-lag, and back to my usual hours of debauchery.

St. Patty's Day we went to a couple bars and had a very interesting evening. Next day went to a few wineries in the Yarra Valley and drank too many wines to recall...bought a couple bottles to bring home...how many am I allowed to bring home? Will I have to drink them in the customs line before entering Canada? I also went to the animal sanctuary so that I could finally see a kangaroo (who knew they wouldn't just be bounding through the parks in the city?!?!) a koala, a wombat and a tasmanian devil...

Went to both the Aussie vs. Canada field hockey match (we lost 5-1) and one of the Athletics nights for the Commonwealth Games, and that was super fun at the TelstraDome. The crowd was going crazy and the air was electric.

On my birthday I went to St. Kilda beach for the day, but managed to get myself COMPLETELY lost for over two hours...by the time I found the beach again I had to head back to the city for my Aussie birthday party...went to the Black Pearl bar on Brunswick Street with a bunch of people and had a great night there celebrating the fact that in Canada I still had yet to even turn 30! Soon enough it all caught up though, and I've now entered my third decade...yikes...

The next day I headed over to Sydney, caught a quick flight there and checked into the youth hostel...it was at the point where I was holding my sheets and towel that I had to rent at check-in, and looking up at the remaining bed (the upper-bunk) in the dorm that I realized I am indeed too old now for bunk-beds, dorm rooms and youth hostels all together...siiiiiiiigh...

Toured the Sydney Opera house and the harbour, then met up with a group of cool Irish blokes. Had a great night with them, and went to see a live Irish band play, which was very cool. I can't describe how many times I said, "I can't have any more beer guys...I'm skydiving in the morning..." and how many times they responded by saying "just one more, it's just a pint, you'll be okay..."

Skydiving was indeed interesting...

No comments: