You have a time machine and MUST leave your own time. Would you go 100 years into the past, 100 years into the future, 1000 years into the past or 1000 years into the future?
I take a couple hours, and give this important question the thought it deserves...and then I reply.
I think I would go 100 years into the future.
100 years into the past puts me in a big heavy dress with a too-tight corset, and six children at my feet, and scrubbing the laundry on a board and I'd be an old maid if I weren't married...
1000 years into the past puts me in some archaic time where I'm having a hell of a time being a vegetarian...
1000 years into the future puts me in some completely unknown world where I don't understand a thing that's going on. Language is weird, climate is odd...I don't get it. And there's enough in life that I don't get as it is.
So, 100 years into the future lets me see where everything that I know now has ended up. Do we have an ozone layer left? Do people recycle or is everything biodegradable? Is there security on EVERYthing in Canada now in response to terror threats? Is the Green Party in power? Is there a polar ice cap? Did my nephew have great grandchildren? All very cool.
Meph's brilliant reply:
100 years in the future:
- O-Zone problems are solved due to invention of "I can't believe it's not O-Zone"; available at finer WalMarts everywhere.
- New breed of garbage-eating weasel is developed and so recycling is no longer necessary. Scientists currently looking at developing weasel-eating gorilla to solve explosion in weasel population. No problems with this plan are foreseen.
- Security eliminated due to cost over-runs. Canada now operates on "honour system".
- King Harper VIII declares the continuation of martial law. It is now legal to hunt Green Party members for sport. Ontario is still blamed for this mess, but Albertan's still madder about NEP of late 70's, early 80's.
- There is a Polar Ice Cap. It is kept on display at the Molson Canadian National Gallery and Beer-a-palooza (formerly West Block of Parliament, sold off to corporate sponsors in 2032)
- Advances in medicine allow your nephew to live to be 400 years old, so he figures he's too young to settle down and have a family. Maybe when he is 2000...
Wow...*that* is very funny...can I use it as a guest blog ?
To which he replied (and then I said, and then she said...and so on and so on...ummm...is anyone still reading this post? And shouldn't I be at Bluesfest about now?)
I would consider it an honour to be a guest blog.
Meph, on behalf of my loyal impatient readers, thank you for this special guest blog. Brought to you by the number 4 and the letter...blog?
No comments:
Post a Comment